BBC Media action is hiring a “Project Assistant, Libya”
deadline: 28 may 2019
Location: Tunis, Tunisia
Contract type: Fixed term contract with local terms and conditions. Must have the right to work in Tunisia. Role is subject to funding.
Duration: Until 31st March 2020 (with possibility of extension depending on funding)
Reports to: Project Manager, Libya
♦ BBC Media Action, the BBC’s international development organisation, uses the power of media and communication to inform, connect and empower people around the world, helping them to shape their own lives. Working with broadcasters, governments, other organisations and donors, BBC Media Action provides information and stimulates positive change in the areas of governance, health, and resilience and humanitarian response.
♦ BBC Media Action is independent from the BBC, but shares the BBC’s fundamental values and has partnerships with the BBC World Service and national broadcasters that reach millions of people in developing countries. In addition, BBC Media Action trains journalists and reaches audiences with local broadcast partners. In line with the BBC value of audiences being at the heart of everything we do, research with audiences is embedded across our project life cycle.
Our work in North Africa
♦ Our work in North Africa covers Tunisia, Algeria and Libya, with our office based in Tunis. Current projects include capacity building of the Algerian media to promote the development of media that better meets the needs of the Algerian population and provision of content that improves Libyans’ access to information and encourage debate and participation in Libya’s transition through the El Kul Facebook page.
♦ The purpose of the role is to provide comprehensive administrative support to managers and team members within the Libya team, specifically and the North Africa office, generally.The role will be responsible for a broad range of administrative tasks e.g. the handling and direction of queries, maintenance of records, acting as the first point of contact for the team, co-ordination of projects and activities and the provision of administrative and organisational support to the London team.
- Provide comprehensive administrative and operational support to the Libya team, identifying and resolving first line issues, referring to supervisor/manager for assistance as necessary. This includes contributing to drafting donor and internal reports and planning for project activities as required.
- Organise key team meetings including co-ordination and distribution of agendas, supporting documents, production and distribution of minutes, and follow-up on outstanding actions.
- To act as a key point of contact for Libya country team and international trainers, facilitating communications between them, BBC Media Action teams in London, the wider BBC and external stakeholders.
- Make routine arrangements and bookings, and provide diary management support to team to help ensure that they use their time effectively.
- To set-up and maintain an efficient paper and electronic filing system for all project and compliance documentation for the Libya team as required.
- Follow BBC safety requirements and instructions and support project /country office teams to comply with BBC Media Action procedures, such as health and safety guidelines, and financial management procedures as required.
- To liaise with and assist the North Africa Finance team on routine financial issues, where required, including: the preparation, collection and transfer of advances, aiding staff in the preparation and coding of expense claims, monitoring advances reports, and other tasks as required.
- Help coordinate monitoring and evaluation activities with the Research team, for example trainer and trainee evaluation of training and production.
- Ad hoc English and Arabic and/or French translation tasks as required.
- Support the assessment of future project needs and engage in discussions around work beyond current project.