Environment Specialist at World Bank, Yaounde, Cameroon
Deadline: 10 November 2018
The World Bank Group (WBG) is currently seeking applications from eligible applicants for the post of Environment Specialist in Yaounde, Cameroon. The duration of this post is 2 years.
WBG has set two ambitious goals first is reducing extreme poverty to 3% by 2030 and second is promoting shared prosperity by fostering income growth of the bottom 40% of the population in every country.
Key Jobs Responsibilities
The Environment Specialist will perform the following functions:
- During project preparation: assess the project’s potential environmental footprint and determine which of the Bank’s safeguards policies and/or ESS will be triggered; guide the borrower/project implementation agency in process of preparing the necessary safeguard instruments and review them for quality; contribute well-written summaries of key safeguards instruments for inclusion in project documentation; and assist in the preparation of Environmental and Social Risk Classifications (ESRCs) and Environmental and Social Commitment Plans (ESCPs). This will also entail helping staff or client to assure the quality of project documentation before submission to the Regional Safeguards Adviser (RSA) Secretariat for review and approval.
- Provide expert guidance and support for the screening of Bank projects for environmental risks, impacts, and vulnerabilities and identify risk management opportunities/strategies including labor influx, occupational health and safety and climate change mitigation and adaptation in Bank projects
- In accordance with the Bank’s ESF, determine the appropriate Environment and Social (E&S) Risk classification and review the risk classification assigned to the project on a regular basis. In determining and managing E&S risk, use the ESSs related guidance and good practice notes, as well as internationally accepted good industry practice for informed decision making.
- Ensure compliance of all project financed activities, including those relating to associated facilities with the WB’s Safeguards policies and the ESSs and the Bank Environmental, Health and Safety (EHS) Guidelines, as well as Good International Industry Practice (GIIP).
- Participate in review meetings and represent GEN07 in relevant Bank-wide initiatives; represent the Bank in donor meetings on the environment; and contribute to knowledge generation and diffusion within the region and beyond.
- Regularly complete all project related reporting requirements in Bank system and provide project related synopsis to management as and when required.
Applicants must have:
- Master’s degree or equivalent academic qualification in Engineering or the physical sciences.
- Knowledge of international standards and codes of practices in the environment sector including World Bank Group Environmental and Social Standards (ESSs).
- Minimum of 5 years of professional experience in the environmental sector, including proven experience in environment, health and safety (EHS); risk assessment; occupational, health and safety (OHS); due diligence, environmental site assessment, and compliance audits.
- Good knowledge of environmental legislation, regulatory and institutional arrangements in African countries.
- Experience with the application of the World Bank’s environmental safeguards policies; and knowledge of the new ESF.
- Familiarity with social safeguards issues will be a strong asset.
How to Apply
Applicants must submit their applications through online process.
For more information, please visit WBG.